Cost of living support Financial support

You could be eligible for financial support from the government, your local council, your energy provider, and charitable organisations.

A young couple planning their budget

Financial support from the government

The Help for Households website provides information about financial support that is available to help with living costs. Use the links below to find out what financial support you're eligible for.

Financial support from your local council

Your local council might offer a welfare assistance scheme to give you short-term financial help.

Visit their website or contact them directly to find out if support is available in your area.

Financial support from your energy provider

If you’re in debt with your energy provider, you might qualify for a charitable grant to help pay it off. The following energy suppliers offer grants to their customers:

*British Gas Energy Trust grants are available to everybody – you don’t need to be a British Gas customer to apply.

Financial support from charitable organisations

You might be eligible for a grant from a charitable organisation. Charitable grants are designed to help people in financial need and don't need to be paid back.

You can use the Turn2Us grant search tool to find grants available in your area.

Free advice and services

These resources can help you manage your money more effectively, reduce your energy consumption, and save money on everyday essentials.

Age UK's Warm Homes Programme helps older people stay safe and well at home by providing free benefit entitlement checks, home energy checks, as well as advice on keeping warm and saving energy.

Barclays Budget Planner is a handy monthly budget calculator from Barclays Bank.

Citizens Advice is a national charity that provides guidance on benefits, employment, money, and energy-related issues.

Energy Saving Trust helps you save money on your energy bills.

Mencap provides support and advice to people with learning disabilities and their families or caregivers on accessing assistance for food and energy expenses.

Money Helper is a government service that provides free and impartial money advice on benefits, money troubles, work and pensions.

Money Advice Trust is a national charity helping people struggling with debt.

MoneySavingExpert is the UK’s biggest consumer website, run by TV personality Martin Lewis, offering advice and tips on the best ways to save money.

National Debtline is a charity providing free and independent advice on how to deal with debt.

National Energy Action is a national charity that offers advice and support to people who are struggling to pay their energy bills.

Step Change Debt Charity offers free debt advice to help you get your finances back on track.

Turn2Us has an online benefits calculator and grant search tool to help you find out what financial support you could get.

We're here to help

If you need extra help to manage your money, we can support you through our tenancy support service.

Our Financial Skills and Tenancy Sustainment team can help you:

  • set a household budget
  • apply for benefits
  • secure charitable grants and hardship funds
  • apply for fuel vouchers

Contact us to find out more about our tenancy support service.