Help and advice Aids and adaptations

Making changes, such as adding a handrail or ramp, could make it easier for you to live in your home.

A close-up of a person holding onto a handrail

We can help make changes to your home if you, or a member of your household, need them because of a disability or illness. 

How we can help

There are lots of ways we can make your home easier for you to use, including:

  • changing the height of your electrical sockets
  • installing handrails, grab rails and ramps
  • swapping your taps for lever taps

Requesting adaptations to your home

All our tenants are eligible for home adaptations. However, we don’t currently offer this service to our leaseholders or shared owners. 

Please get in touch with us if you need any minor aids or adaptations to make it easier to live in your home, such as handrails or ramps. 

We don’t charge you for adaptations to your home, but we review every request in line with budget and suitability.

If you need larger changes to your home, you’ll need to speak to an occupational therapist from your local council first to determine what adaptations are right for you.

Occupational therapists work to improve your ability to do everyday tasks. Depending on your situation, you can get occupational therapy for free through the NHS or social services. You can speak to your GP or your local council for a referral if you don’t already have occupational therapy.

Arranging your own adaptations

If you want to have an aid or adaptation fitted yourself, you’ll need to contact us for written permission before the work is carried out.