Help and advice Contents insurance

Protect yourself from unexpected costs if your possessions are broken, damaged, stolen or vandalised by arranging home contents insurance.

 A man and women sitting in their kitchen looking at paperwork and a laptop

Home insurance protects you if something unexpected were to happen to your home. If your carpets were ruined by a leaking water pipe or your home was burgled, your home insurance could help you cover the cost of repairing the damage and getting your home back to normal. 

There’s different types of home insurance and you need to make sure you have the right cover to protect you and your family. 

What home insurance do I need as a tenant?

It’s important you have contents insurance for your home. Contents insurance covers you if your possessions are broken, damaged, stolen or vandalised. It includes items such as your furniture, carpets, TVs and laptops. 

It’s your responsibility to arrange contents insurance for your home – we don’t provide you with contents insurance cover. 

As your landlord, we are responsible for arranging buildings insurance for your home. This is a different type of insurance that covers any structural damage to your property. For example, if your roof was damaged in a storm or your kitchen needed to be replaced after a fire. You pay us for buildings insurance cover as part of your service charge

How can I arrange contents insurance?

We’ve teamed up with Thistle Tenant Risks and Great Lakes Insurance UK Limited, who provide the My Home Contents Insurance scheme. It’s a specialist scheme for social housing tenants.

The My Home Contents Insurance Scheme can cover you for lost or damaged items such as furniture, carpets, curtains, clothes, electricals, jewellery, pictures and ornaments.

You’ll also be covered if your keys are lost or stolen, and you need to change your locks. 

Contact My Home Contents Insurance to arrange your cover