Back to all articles

Moving to Universal Credit (UC Managed Migration)

Universal Credit

If you receive Child Tax Credit, Housing Benefit, Income Support, Income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance, Working Tax Credit or Income Related Employment and Support Allowance, you might get a ‘Universal Credit migration notice letter’ from the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP).

The letter is part of a phased approach by the DWP to move more people receiving these six ‘legacy’ benefits over to Universal Credit.

Those who receive a letter will have their entitlement to Universal Credit assessed against their current legacy benefits, with top up payments known as transitional protection available for eligible claimants whose entitlement would otherwise have been reduced because of the change.

This should make sure that you’ll receive the same entitlement as on the legacy system at the point you move to Universal Credit and this will continue unless your circumstances alter.

The letter will explain you need to make a claim for Universal Credit within three months.

If you receive a letter and would like some support or advice our Tenancy Skills Team can help, you can email or call our Contact Centre on 0300 111 7000 and ask for a referral to the Tenancy Skills Team.

If you don’t receive a letter at this time, you’ll continue to receive your benefits as normal and you must wait until the DWP writes to you before applying for Universal Credit to make sure you don’t lose transactional protection payments that you might be eligible for.

If you're worried about your finances, mental health, or wellbeing, help is available. Visit our cost of living hub  where we’ve collated some useful resources from other organisations to help you find the support you need.